Saturday, December 8, 2007

Leadership vs. Discipleship

I have been pondering the difference between leadership and discipleship. Leadership has become the in vogue thing for Christians. "Everyone is a leader", "all have a call to lead", these mantras are quoted over and over in Christian books and seminars.
Whatever happened to discipleship. I think it is unpopular because it is based on humility rather than being in-charge. It doesn't have that carrot dangling in front of someone who is looking for power. Disciples don't get to bark order, they are looking to follow.
These principles seem to get lost in leadership training. Of course we mention in passing the need to serve but it seems more of an afterthought than a primary qualification to lead.
When Jesus called His first disciples it began of journey of laying down their lives, their aspirations, their need to lead. As John and Jame's mother lobbied for them a cabinet position in Jesus new administration and Peter assumed the role of number two, Jesus was on His knees washing their feet, carrying their dirt, below them, serving.
I am grateful God has chosen me to lead, Life Church and my family. I am only successful in leading as long as I remember I am first a disciple and here to serve God first, them second, and me last.
I want to be a disciple and make disciples, I'll let God pick the leaders.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

test

Unknown said...

I have seen "leaders" that lord it over others, that manipulate or intimidate, saturate and confine.

I have also seen flocks of sparrows that darkened the sky,herds of cattle and sheep. and schools of fish that manged to find their way with majesty not from an individual, or a group of individuals but from a group that moved as one body.

I am glad for the servants like you Tony that not only allow that but seek it out...an organic connection to the Head.

Denny Benjamin said...

Good and valuable insights for the Body of Christ. The problem with the leadership teaching enterprise is that it does not tell anyone to follow. Should we always 'feel in our minds and act it out in front of others' that we are better and therefore they need to listen to us? The Spirit of Christ is missing in all this 'self'ish talk. On the other side, it does give you insights to buck up and do things for your family and workplace when you are lazy.