Monday, November 19, 2007

Getting Low to See Higher

I have been studying Matthew this week. I am focusing on Jesus interaction with people, especially the poor. I have also been reading Shane Claiborne's book "The Irresistible Revolution" and it has challenged me to rethink many things in my life and the ministry I lead.

Before I can get to Jesus interaction with people I have been taking a fresh look at the Sermon on the Mount. Whether this was one teaching in one setting or a collection of Jesus teachings arranged together by Matthew doesn't really matter to me.

What I have been challenged by is the Beatitudes. The amazing portrait of a blessed man is so foreign to the way we think today. I know it is to me. There are some people who are just naturally caring and nice and considerate. I know I married one. Most of my life I have succeeded by being strong-willed, hard working, creative, and driven. These are qualities to be admired in today's society. To me they are something I am trying to live away from. In fact, I have a few close friends that help me monitor these unwanted qualities.

I am challenged by this picture Jesus paints of humility, a hunger and thirst for God, to be merciful, pure, a peacemaker, and willing to reflect these attitudes to the point of being persecuted.

By comparison I find myself prideful, arrogant, selfish, uncaring, insensitive, independent, dull toward God, and judgemental.

I am encouraged by the fact God knows this and still loves me, and draws me into His presence. The more I gaze at Him through worship and His Word the more I reflect His image. We really do have this treasure in clay vessels as the Apostle Paul relates in his letter to the Corinthians.

Instead of spending my life trying to polish up this vessel to impress others I desire to be broken that the people may see the treasure that is on the inside. As Paul said, "that they would glorify the Christ in me."

2 comments:

Cody Jones said...

I know that I have a hard time finding where the "line" is between humility and ambition, especially in my career and in personal conflicts. To me, it's hard to know when to stand up for myself or when to just let something pass without feeling like walked all over.

Unknown said...

Wow, these issues around humilty are ones that I face a lot...do I (a)do what someone says out of "humility" or (b)stand up "like a man" for my rights or even something I think God sees as precious? (Hmmm...just counted three I's!)

It is easier to lay down my rights than to lay down my identity. When I fear the opinion of others more than the opinion of Jesus...it gets hard for me to hear him. Sometimes I do things simply because I don't want others to think badly about me, instead of a love-response to God.

Writing about it now seems to make it all pretty clear that is selfishness, not humility. Now putting these ideas into practice, making it a conversation with Jesus is something I would love to learn more about. That's one reason I appreciated the talk by Derek Loux at LifeChurch last Sunday, as he described worship: sometimes it means telling telling God what a beast we are, and then he draws us into Himself.

Finally I have to say it is striking to have our Pastor be so open an honest and humble. Tony I am touched by your comments in this day when so few leaders will take the risk so that others may learn and love from their example. Honesty like that is contagious, provokes connection and makes me thankful.