Monday, November 26, 2007

Serving Up Chicken Soup

I am a chicken when it comes to approaching people I don't know and confront them about spiritual issues. I am not an evangelist. I am like the guy who related working with people to basketball. He said, "I was great playing zone but terrible one-on-one". In other words, it is easier to address a crowd than individuals.
There is within me though a desire to see people meet Jesus for who He really is. Not the religious Jesus many have been presented, but the Jesus I have come to know as my Lord and friend.
In Colossians 4, Paul presents a simple instructions that help me.
First he calls us to pray. Prayer not only changes the world, it changes me. While praying for others I gain insights into God's love for people. My prayer also prepares people for Divine encounters that I believe God sets me up for when I pray.
Now the soup part...
Paul goes on to instruct us in handling these Divine encounters. The essence of our conversations are "full of grace and seasoned with salt" (Col. 4:6).
I was struck as I read this verse a picture of someone making soup.
Soup with no salt is tasteless. Soup with too much salt is bitter and inedible. Good soup is about 99.9% soup and .01% salt.
So it is when I speak to others. If I am full of God's love and grace through my connection with Him in prayer, then this will be the basis of the conversation. That takes the pressure off. I don't have to preach I just have to let God love people through me.
Should the opportunity arise to talk to them about spiritual issues then I can season the conversation with God's truth.
My prayer is that God can take this chicken and make soup to serve to hungry people which is salted properly to each person's need.
Blessings...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.